Last Updated on January 12, 2022 by Marsh Fasteners
Stainless steel fasteners are used in various applications and their maintenance is important for longevity. Here are some tips to maintain nuts and bolts. These tips should help you to troubleshoot and prevent issues from arising in areas that are prone to nut and bolt issues.
Why is the maintenance of stainless steel fasteners important?
Stainless steel fasteners such as stainless steel nuts and bolts are sturdy and used in a variety of applications and marine-grade equipment. Loose nuts and bolts are a potential safety hazard and can also lead to expensive damage to equipment. Proper maintenance of stainless steel fasteners can prevent these hazards and damages from occurring, and ensure nuts and bolts are in good condition.
Tips to maintain stainless steel fasteners
Here are some common tips to maintain stainless steel fasteners for your equipment or projects:
- Lubrication: Lubricate the threads of the nut and bolt before assembly and removal to prevent corrosion and breaking of the bolt.
- Use an air pressure cleaner: Always clean the threaded slot before inserting a stainless steel fastener. Debris can affect its fastening.
- Use an anti-seize compound: Use an anti-seizure compound on the nut or bolt - this is especially useful if you are working with high temperatures.
- Always use the correct equipment: Use the correct equipment (such as spanners) for tightening nuts and bolts to prevent damage.
- Refer to user manuals: Read the manual for the specific tightening torque technique of your fastener as each will vary depending on the thread and material.
- Use a washer: Washers can help with the tightening process and prevent the loosening of nuts and bolts.
- Use a lock nut: Lck nuts help to prevent loosening and friction by firmly grasping the nut or bolt.
MarshFastens has a range of stainless steel fasteners, stainless steel nuts and bolts, lock nuts, and washers to help you to maintain your equipment. Our stainless steel products from Jupiter, Florida are reliable and affordable.
Call MarshFasteners today for more tips to maintain nuts and bolts!