Last Updated on September 12, 2022 by Marsh Fasteners
If you are building any type of structure, it is likely you are already using stainless steel screws. There are many benefits that come with these versatile fasteners. To begin with, they are corrosion resistant and very strong. Secondly, they are cosmetically appealing and readily available. They are also largely non-magnetic and inexpensive, making them ideal for all your fastening needs.
Now you have ordered stainless steel nuts, how do you install them like a pro? Here are the crucial steps:
- Drill or punch the mounting holes using the appropriate drill or punch. Ensure they don’t have broken edges in excess of 005”/.127mm.
- Thread lubrication is important to avoid galling which can be quite frustrating. Stainless steel bolts are susceptible to galling where male and female threads don’t seem to match. Lubrication reduces friction and makes your work easier.
- Install the pilot of the fastener into the drilled hole.
- Apply installation force till the head of the nut is in contact with the sheet or surface.
- Install the mating piece from the opposite side of the fastener.
- Clean the surface and apply a coating if you are near a coastal region. This protects your fasteners.
There are many types of bolts out there in terms of design and shape. Fortunately, this procedure generally applies for all of them. During installation you should ensure you wear gloves to avoid injuries. More importantly, you should avoid high RPM speed because this generates a lot of heat and leads to thread galling.
It is also important to ensure the sheet or surface you are fastening is softer than the bolt. This not only makes your work easier, but also averts problems during installation. It also ensures your stainless steel screws perform the required task and for a long time. Whatever you do, make sure you use high quality screws from a recognized manufacturer to ensure durability.
Contact us today for more information.